The Porch Jazz Parade offers a fun romp through the streets with pit stops for half-hour concerts along the way. Dance in the streets or bring a portable lawn chair and relax. The 2017 Porch Jazz Parade will be led by Spencer Evan’s Goat Steppers Parade Band, along with animating performances from Birdbone Theatre.
Porch Jazz Bands:
- Parade Band: Spencer Evan’s Goat Steppers
- 12pm: Swamp Ward Orchestra @ Mulberry School #25 Markland Street / John Street side Playground
- 12:45pm: Son Latino @ Barrie Street & Plum Street
- 1:30pm: Kitchen Gypsies @ Barrie/Raglan Road w/ special guest Brant Peppley
- 2:15pm: Chris Alfano @ Redan Street
- 3pm: Georgette Fry @ Skeleton Park Main Stage
The Swamp Ward Orchestra was formed in 2004 and named for their beloved Skeleton Park neighbourhood. They combine various European sounds from medieval to musette, circus to café, and compose tunes in tribute to these traditions. Through their music you will discover a little bit of Eastern Europe, a bit of Paris, and none of the everyday with a ambiance ranging from sweet and sublime to dark and raucous.
Son Latino‘s music covers all styles of the Latin repertoire including Santana, Gypsy Kings, Salsa, Latin-Jazz, modern fusions of Merengue, Bachata, Cumbia, as well as traditional Cuban music such as Mambo, Habanera and Cha-cha- cha, and Buena Vista Social Club.
- Guzman Plaza – Cuarto Cubano/ Voice
- Roberto Linares – Vocalist / Piano
- Rodrigo Chavez- Guitar/ Timbales
- Alberto Garcia- Congas/Bongos/ voice
The Kitchen Gypsies play the Gypsy Jazz (Jazz Manouche) style of music created by Django Reinhardt. With special guest Brant Peppley!
Chris Alfano is an active musician performing on clarinet, saxophone and flute in both classical and jazz idioms. He has performed with noted Canadian jazz musicians Don Thompson, Peter Appleyard, Mike Murley, David Braid, Jon McLeod, Carol Wellsman and with the National Arts Centre Orchestra under the direction of Pinchas Zukerman. He has also performed with the Kingston Symphony Orchestra as Guest Principal Clarinetist and soloist.